Monday, August 4, 2014

Day 146 – August 3 – Cheyenne, Wyoming

Well they can’t all be special days!  Today we traveled from Rock Springs to Cheyenne on interstate 80 and it was mainly high desert with scattered sightings of antelope.  As we got close to Laramie we started climbing up the mountains.  We crossed the continental divide two more times today, the first time the sign said 8,460 feet.  I think that is the highest we have been on this trip.  The other crossing was lower, only 7,000 feet.


At one point I needed a bathroom break, so I stopped at a historical marker on the side of the highway.  I went back to take care of business and Dorrie said, “I can’t read the sign, I going to pull up”.  My forehead was thus introduced to the cabinet over the toilet as she started forward, and then to even things out the back of my head found the back wall of the water closet as she stopped.  My eyes glazed over and I had stars swimming around my head.  I tried to remember if I was finished or just starting when she said, “I still can’t read it, I’m going out”.  My brain screamed, “Why didn’t she do that before I got batted around”.  I finished up – I remembered I still needed to go and went outside – Dorrie was returning and said it was something dumb about a tree in a rock!


We made it to Cheyenne around 2 in the afternoon and checked into the Terry Bison Ranch RV Park.  This is a very nice place and is a dreamland for kids.  There are pony rides, two very nice playgrounds, train rides, camels, and bison.

Now a few words about my three traveling companions – Dorrie and I have lived in this 37-foot house on wheels for 146 days and we have had few if any cross words.  We have shared so many experiences on this trip, it is enough to fill the rest of our lifetime with memories – but we are going to continue to make more memories, we are not stopping here.

Chloe is a homebody of a dog.  She normally does not like to visit very long, she likes to go, but she wants to return to her home.  She has been so good on this trip.  She is a lot like Dorrie in that she is very smart, likes things a certain way (her way) and worries about things (such as thunder).

Sadie takes life as it comes, kind of like me.  She takes joy in the little things in life – an ear scratch or a tummy rub.  To Sadie a good day is a ride in Dorrie’s lap, a nap in the sun on the dash and then a walk outside, followed with more lap time.

The three of them have been a great comfort and joy on this trip; I cannot imagine this journey without the three of them.  We are a team.

I have a little more space to fill so I thought I would explain all the references to music in this blog.  To me song lyrics are poems set to music and I love poetry – I am a poet at heart I just lack the ability to write it.  Anyway that is why I sometimes refer to a song or some of the lyrics of a song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment