Sunday, May 4, 2014

Day 51 – April 30 – Moved to Sleepy Hollow

That’s right, we are in Sleepy Hollow RV Park.  With the addition of our two campers we doubled the number of campers in this “RV Park”.  We move up highway 101 about 75 miles today to the town of Willits, California.  We are actually about 9 miles north of Willits, no phone service, no wifi from the campground, and no over the air TV service.

We left the Alexander Valley RV park about 9:30 because we could not get reservations for the campground here in Willits and it is a small park – only 18 total sites.  We got here around noon and found no one in the office.  We followed the self-registration instructions and selected our sites.  We could not determine the site numbers because the numbers were worn off the electric boxes – kind of tells you the general appearance of the place.

We were both set up and I needed to get to the roof of our camper to do a minor repair.  To get on the roof, I had to take the bikes off the ladder rack, which I managed to do.  I got my material for the repair and went up the ladder.  Rick came out about that time, so I had him look in my tool box for a couple of longer screws, which he found and brought up for me.  The cover on the vent of the black tank was off and it was allowing the wind to blow the smell back up into the camper.  Once the repair was completed, the smell went away – thank goodness!

Rick helped me fight the bikes back up on the rack.  The rack is high up on the ladder because of the spare tires I have in the carrier on the back of the motorhome.  It took both of us to man-handle the bikes back up on the rack.

I went inside to wash up and cool down.  I was setting on the sofa when I saw Rick and Mary’s camper move.  It move backwards, then forward, forward some more and then back more.  They were trying to get satellite TV reception.  Next thing I know the camper is completely gone.  Here it comes back again, heading in the opposite direction than it had been.  More of the back and forth.  Then it was gone again and returned facing the direction it had been in from the beginning.  Even more back and forth.  Dorrie and I were getting a good laugh out of all the movement just to be able to get TV.  We have been without TV for several days and have not really missed it.  We read or watch movies.

I guess the Ottos finally got tired of the moving around and came over to see if we wanted to go back to Willits to the grocery store.  I said I would like to see if we could get a new faucet for the kitchen sink.  We have been fighting a leak for the whole trip and decided it must be the faucet.  We changed hoses when we were in San Diego, but that didn’t fix the leak.

We got a new faucet at a Tru-Value store, groceries at Safeway, and returned to the camper.  Rick was under the cabinet working on the faucet – I had turned the water off outside.  Dorrie turned on the water pump and hit Rick right in the face with a good stream of water.  She turned the pump off fast, but it was too late.  lol


The new faucet was installed and still we had a leak.  We decided it was the gasket in the fitting on the water line that was the problem.  Back to Willits to a RV supply store – we got there 12 minutes after it closed.  A stop at the Tru-Value and we got what we thought would fix it.  Back at the camper – finally the leak is stopped (we think).

No comments:

Post a Comment