Friday, May 23, 2014

Day 74 – May 23 – Reflections

Today was boring as far as what happened.  We went to the bank and got Canadian money for our trip into the “north country”, went by Walgreens for meds for Mary, and Dorrie tried to get a refill but they needed to talk to the doctor.  So, I thought I would reflect back on the trip so far.

We have been in 11 states, in 10 or more National Parks, numerous state parks in several of the states we have visited, and killed an untold number of bugs on the front of the motorhome.

I have been asked several times (including today at the bank) what was the most outstanding thing we have seen.  I cannot decide – was it one of the five National Parks in Utah?  Or maybe it was the trees that have turned to stone in Arizona?  Or was it Crater Lake incased with a frame of snow?  But who can forget the redwoods?  The Pacific coast has provided more memories than you could count.  What fun we had hunting for diamonds in Arkansas!  Staying in downtown Las Vegas was really a blast and we saw some sights!  Plus riding the roller coaster outside of New York, New York was heart-stopping fun.

So what was the most outstanding sight or activity?  To be honest I don’t know.  I can eliminate some things.  Like the wind we fought in Oklahoma and New Mexico.  Scratch the drive in the snow in Utah from the list of best activities.  Remove the Mohave Desert from the list of great sights.  You can discount all the bad roads we have been on – the ones that were bad from poor or no maintenance.  The PCH was nerve racking at times but I would not have missed it for anything.

So what has been the best thing so far – really it is a couple of things.  First would be the complete experience of the trip.  We have traveled a little over five thousand miles so far and we have only completed about one third of the trip.  For me it has been a fulfilled dream to this point.

Second thing that I would count as the best thing is the fact that we can do it.  I mean this from a couple of points.  First we are healthy enough to start this trip.  Second we have the financial resources to go on the trip – sorry kids there won’t be an inheritance for you.  Third thing that comes to my mind it that we live in a country that has all these great things to see and we have the freedom to go out and see them.  Thank goodness the earlier generations have saved these treasures we have visited on this trip.

Now everyone wake up!  I know I put you to sleep with my ramblings.  That is what happens when it is raining (did I forget to say that – it is Seattle you know) and I am setting here listening to my man Nat ‘King’ Cole.

One last thing before closing this entry – if any of you get the opportunity to fulfill your dream, do it!  Life is short and you don’t want to have your tombstone read

Here lies (your name here)
My only regret is I didn’t (your unfulfilled dream)


No comments:

Post a Comment