Monday, May 12, 2014

Day 62 – May 11 – Mother’s Day

Rod McKuen (my favorite poet) wrote – “It doesn’t matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love”.  So here is my love to all the mothers on Mother’s Day.

The sun was shining bright this morning with a promise of a good day.  I kept checking the webcam from Crater Lake, but it always showed the lake real foggy.  Then I happened to notice the time stamp on the image.  It seems the webcam system from the park service had not updated the images since 7:30 p.m. the previous day.

We drove up to the national park around noon.  There were a few white clouds in the sky but it was still warm as we reached the rim (around 45 degrees).  We drove down the road towards Discovery Point and got a couple of fast peeks of the lake over the snow banks.  The parking area was crowded with cars, but we found a place to park and climbed the snow bank for a better look.  The pictures below tell the story as much as they can, but they can only provide a small glance of the beauty we saw.  Please click on the pictures to make them full screen so you can see a part of what we saw.  Also remember that the images are showing a reflection of the shore.


 

Wizard Island appeared to be connected to the shore because of the reflection of the inside of the rim.

 



We took so many pictures; we just could not get enough of the view.  These pictures are to show how deep the snow was that we were standing on at the rim.

 


We drove over to Rim Village to take pictures from the same place we had stood yesterday for pictures.  The blue is somewhat muted because the sky is reflected in the water and the sky is a lighter shade of blue than the water.  While we were standing there taking pictures I heard 2 or 3 people climb to the top of the snow bank and their first word was “WOW!”  That just about sums up how we felt.
 



We stopped at a restaurant on the way back named “Beckie’s” that has been in operation since the 1920s.  They were running a Mother’s Day special of pork loin, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and salad plus a brownie sundae for moms all for $12.95.  We all ordered the special – it was served with home-made rolls and was outstanding despite the fact they ran out of mashed potatoes and we were offered either a baked potato or French fries.  It was a great ending for our WOW day – and wow upside-down is Mom.  So it was a Wow of a Mom day!

And now a personal note - most of my friends know I like to play with rhymes so here is my ending for this Mother’s Day entry.

For Dorrie on Mother’s Day

You are my love, my friend, my wife,
The reason for my being - my life.
Now we travel down this road we share,
With laughs, or silence, and sometimes without a care.

You encourage me on this trip,
And help me to hold a steady grip.
Without you at my side,
This trip might not have been tried.

I know I don’t always say how I feel,
But without you nothing would be real.
Life is an adventure, or so they say,
And we are proving it every day.

To borrow a little from Odgen Nash,
I hope I don’t owe his estate any cash!
I think I shall never see,
A woman more lovely than Thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment