Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 136 – July 24 – A Non Wow Day

Today is Dorrie’s birthday.  I am so lucky to have her in my life.  Yesterday we were listening to the iPod and Willie Nelson sang “Wind Beneath My Wings” – this is how I feel about her.  Happy birthday to my wife and best friend.

During the night we had what could only be called a slow rain.  In the motorhome you can hear the rain drops on the roof and last night you could almost count the drops, it was that slow of a rain.

This morning it started raining harder and by the time we left the campground (around 10) it was a constant rain.  The clouds were low and the scenery was disappointing because of the weather conditions.

We stopped at Athabasca Falls and took the short walk to the falls from the parking lot.  It is a short falls – about 40 feet, but it is a mean river and it really carved up the rocks over the years.  There were several viewing areas and we hit most of them despite the drizzle.

Look how it cut the rock
We took pictures at a couple of other points.  At one viewing area you could see the top of the mountain and the adjoining glacier when we stopped, but by the time we got out of the camper the clouds had moved in and covered the best part of the view.


We came down a long down hill grade and I had the camper’s engine brake engaged, which uses the transmission to help slow the camper so I can save the brakes from overheating.  We came to the turn out for Bridal Veil Falls (I think the third one we have seen on this trip).  There was oncoming traffic, so I had to stop to wait until I could turn in to the parking lot.  All of the sudden we get this jolt and hear a bang.  The joker behind us ran into the back of the camper.  Lucky we have the carrier attached to the rear using the trailer hitch.  He destroyed the carrier, broke the ladder, messed up the rear of the camper (but not as much if the carrier had not been there) and really made me mad.  He pulled over into the lot behind us and said his radiator was ruined.  It hit me like it was my fault his radiator was ruined and I said I didn’t give a &*^%&$ about his radiator, look at my camper.  I got his information and left him there, saying I would report it to the rangers.  He was not going to drive anywhere with no radiator.  I did report it to the first place we found and they said the rangers were all busy fighting a forest fire so it would be a while before anyone could get to him.
Bridal Veil Falls
The redesigned carrier
We continued on to Lake Louise and tried to get into the campground there – but it was full.  We ate at the Mountain Restaurant and I tried to email my insurance agent about the accident, but I am not sure the message got out to him.

We are currently in the overflow camping area for Lake Louise – a gravel parking lot that they charge $10.80 a night to stay in with the only facilities being pit toilets.  It is still raining.  I need to tie up the spare tires and carrier as best as I can when the rain lets up.  I am afraid it might give way from the weight because of all the damage to the carrier.

On a sad and personal note – Rick had to drive home today.  I am not going to say much about this, except that we will miss him.  Since 1979 we have traveling together on many trips.  It seems strange not to see his camper out my windshield.  Stay safe my friend.  Two songs come to mind – one from the Wizard of Oz that the munchkins sang (change dead to gone).  The other song is by Roy Clark (you may have to look it up if you don’t know the song) with part of the title being “Thank God and Gray Hound…”.

No comments:

Post a Comment